Research Proposal – Thesis, Major Points, and Plan
Due Week 3 and worth
Select a topic on
which your persuasive writing paper will be focused.
Write a one to two
(1-2) page research proposal in which you:
- Identify the topic you selected
and explain two (2) reasons for using it.
- Include a defensible, relevant
thesis statement in the first paragraph.
- Describe three (3) major
characteristics of your audience (official position, decision-making
power, current view on topic, other important characteristic).
- Describe the paper’s scope and
outline the major sections.
- Identify and explain the questions
to be answered.
- Explain your research plan,
including the methods of researching and organizing research.
- Document at least three (3)
primary sources and three (3) secondary sources. Use credible, academic
sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center. Note:
Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must
follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using
Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides;
references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing
the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the
course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not
included in the required page length.
The specific course
learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the elements and correct
use of a thesis statement.
- Write a research proposal that
states the claim and scope of the research project.
- Outline the main sections of the
- Devise an ordered research plan to
obtain appropriate resources.
- Write clearly and concisely about
selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
- Use technology and information
resources to research selected issues for this course.