Research Critique, Part 2
To write a critical
appraisal that demonstrates comprehension of the research study conducted, and
respond to each of the action itemslisted
under the headings below. Successful completion of this assignment requires
that you provide a rationale,include examples, or reference content from the
study in your response.
CRITICAL APPRAISAL GUIDELINES: QUANTITATIVE
topic sentence in
which you will define the purpose of the Research Critique, Part 2
a thesis statement
which briefly provides a broad indication of your point of view in composing
a summary outline
to describe the organization and main topics you will include in the body
paragraphs of the assignments (see below sections).
Protection of Human
- Identify the benefits and risks of participation
addressed by the authors. Were there benefits or risks the authors do not
- Was informed consent obtained from the subjects or
- Did it seem that the subjects participated voluntarily
in the study?
- Was institutional review board approval obtained
from the agency in which the study was conducted?
- Are the major variables (independent and dependent
variables) identified and defined? What were these variables?
- How were data collected in this study?
- What rationale did the author provide for using this data
- Identify the time period for data collection of the
- Describe the sequence of data collection
events for a participant.
Data Management and
- Describe the data management and analysis methods
used in the study.
- Did the author discuss how the rigor of the process
was assured? For example, does the author describe maintaining a paper
trail of critical decisions that were made during the analysis of the
data? Was statistical software used to ensure accuracy of the analysis?
- What measures were used to minimize the effects of
researcher bias (their experiences and perspectives)? For example,
did two researchers independently analyze the data and compare their
Interpretation of Findings: Implications for Practice and Future Research
- What is the researcher’s interpretation of
- Are the findings valid or an accurate reflection of
reality? Do you have confidence in the findings?
- What limitations of the study were identified by
- Was there a coherent logic to the presentation
- What implications do the findings have for nursing
practice? For example, can the study findings be applied to general
nursing practice, to a specific population, to a specific area of nursing?
- What suggestions are made for further studies?
Emphasize the importance and congruity of the thesis statement
Provide a logical wrap-up to bring the appraisal to
completion and to leave a lasting impression and take-away points useful in
Incorporate a critical appraisal and a brief analysis of the utility
and applicability of the findings to nursing practice.
Integrate asummary of the knowledge learned.
Burns, N., & Grove, S. (2011). Understanding
Nursing Research (5th ed.).
Elsevier. ISBN-13: 9781437707502