Week 1: Pharmacogenomics (Original Post due Wednesday, Peer Response due Sunday)
The purpose of this assignment is for students to discuss how human genetic variations impact pharmacokinetics and
pharmacodynamics of drugs and the application for use in the clinical setting.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Explain how pharmacogenomics is currently applied to clinical practice (CO 3).
- Discuss the limitations of pharmacogenomics testing (CO 3).
- Discuss ethical concerns related to pharmacogenomics testing and treatment (CO 3).
Due Date: Wed. 11:59pm MT of Week 1
The student must provide an initial response to the discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59pm MT. Subsequent posts,
including substantive responses to peer(s) and faculty questions must occur by Sunday, 11:59pm MT. A total of 3
substantive posts are required on 3 different days.
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for initial discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday 11:59pm MT,
regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will
receive an automatic 0).
A 10% penalty will be imposed for not entering the minimum number of interactive dialogue posts (3) OR not posting
on the minimum required number of days (3). NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student
will receive an automatic 0).
Total Points Possible: 100
In your initial post, respond to the following scenario (Hint: use the pharmgkb website to guide your responses):
- Before initiating abacavir, an anti-retroviral, for a newly diagnosed HIV positive patient the nurse
practitioner orders HLA-B5701 allele genetic testing. The test confirms that the patient carries the HLA-B5701 allele.
a. Describe what these results mean.
b. Should the nurse practitioner prescribe abacavir in this case? If not, state why.
- A patient is prescribed antiplatelet therapy (clopidogrel) following an acute myocardial infarction (MI). Six
months later, the patient suffers another acute MI. The patient has been adherent to therapy and the nurse
practitioner suspects that clopidrogel may have been ineffective. How might genetic testing have been
beneficial in this case?
- Identify 2 limitations of pharmacogenomics testing. Explain.
- Identify 2 ethical concerns of using pharmacogenomics testing. Explain.